Cricket South Africa forced to delay 3TC due to virus

The South African government has decided not to approve the upcoming 3TC match which was due to take place next Saturday at SuperSport Park in Centurion.

The South African government has, after extensive consultation, decided not to approve the upcoming 3TC match which was due to take place next Saturday at SuperSport Park in Centurion.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) did not get approval from the department of sport and health to use the venue in Centurion for the match. Centurion is considered a coronavirus hotspot.

The new format of the game 3TC consists of three teams with eight players each. The match is played over 36 overs in two halves of 18 overs with a break at halftime.

3TC MATCH POSTPONED

Graeme Smith, CSA Director of Cricket, gave assurances at 3TC’s launch on Wednesday saying, “We’ve presented our plans from hotel to ground to stadium to zoning. Everything has been handled. It’s been cleared. The medical team are driving everything and everything has been okayed.”

The match had been billed as the Solidarity Cup and was meant to raise funds for people in the game who have suffered financially because of the pandemic.

“The operational teams behind the solidarity match and event partners in collaboration with CSA, 3TCricket, and broadcaster SuperSport met to consider the readiness to host the event on 27 June. Following this meeting it has become clear that more work is needed in preparation, including approval. A new date will be announced in due course,” CSA said.

CSA OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THE FUTURE

Smith said, “There are permits in place for players to be moving around now. We know that domestic travel has opened up for business purposes as well. We’ve been working very closely with the Minister of Arts and Culture and Sport, Nathi Mthethwa.

“We’ve presented extensive medical plans on the return to training and the return to play for professional non contact sport. We have been gazetted and we’re excited to move forward. The best way to do that is with an opportunity to raise as much money as possible for everyone who has fallen on hard times.

“We’ve done an extensive amount of work. I lose track of how much we’ve presented to the ministry through the Director General. We have submitted again post gazetting. We’re ready to go. We’ve worked together with the government on this and we’re excited to have their support.”

Tags:,

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *